My Rock Tumbler's Motor is Hot! Is That Normal?
Most motors will be hot to the touch when operating. Here are a few tips for safe operation.
Thermally protected replacement motors for Thumler's Tumblers. Top left: fits the A-R1, A-R2, and A-R12. Top right: fits the Model B (high speed). Bottom right: fits the UV-10 Industrial. Bottom left: fits the Model B (low speed). We sell replacement motors for a limited number of tumblers from Thumler's, Lot-o-Tumbler and Lortone. The motors that we sell are intended for use on these tumblers. If you need a motor for any other tumbler, please contact the manufacturer of that tumbler.
Rock Tumbler Motors Run Hot
Many owners of rock tumblers notice that their motors are very warm, even hot, while they are operating. They usually become concerned about this, and that is understandable.
Most rock tumblers have air-cooled motors that are designed to run hot to the touch. You will probably not burn your fingers if you touch the motor quickly. However, if you allow your fingers to remain in contact with the motor for more than a moment, the heat will be uncomfortable. That motor temperature is normal.
Thermally Protected Motors
High-quality rock tumblers have thermally protected motors. These motors will shut off if they become overheated. This is a safety feature intended to prevent fires.
We sell several Thumler's Tumblers that are shipped from the factory with thermally protected motors. They are the Thumler's A-R1, A-R2, A-R12, Model B, U-V10 Industrial Model, and U-V18 Industrial Model. We believe that these are some of the highest quality motors used in hobbyist rock tumblers today.
Our Experience with Hot Motors
We have been using Thumler's Tumblers for about 50 years and, over the past decade, we have sold thousands of their tumblers. We have never heard of a fire or an electrical problem being attributed to a Thumler's Tumbler. We have never heard of a fire or an electrical problem being attributed to a Lot-o-Tumbler.
At almost any time, we have between one and four rock tumblers running at our office. This is a combination of Thumler's Tumblers, Lot-o-Tumblers, and Lortone tumblers. We have been doing this for years. We estimate that the tumblers at our office have experienced a total running time of at least 50 years. Out of all of that time, we have only experienced an overheated rock tumbler on one occasion.
That overheating was on a Thumler's A-R2, when one of the barrels got wedged between the drive shaft and the idler shaft. That kept the drive shaft from turning but the motor kept running and working hard trying to turn that stuck driveshaft. The motor overheated. The motor stopped operating. We found the tumbler stopped that evening and it would no longer operate. We had to replace the motor.
We have had good luck with motors. This good luck may be in part to our habits of keeping our rock tumbling area clean, and regular tumbler lubrication.
Things You Should Watch For
If a motor on a rock tumbler - or a motor on any appliance - begins to overheat, you will likely smell it. Overheating motors often emit an odor of hot oil or burning plastic. If you experience this, do not touch the appliance. If you know how to turn off the electricity to that part of your home, turn it off. If that is not possible, don't touch the appliance, but unplug it from the wall outlet. If you see smoke or deformed plastic, or feel heat before touching the plug, do not touch it. Get assistance from someone who can turn off the electricity and evaluate the situation.
Then, as soon as possible, contact an electrician for advice. If your tumbler was the source of the odor, contact the manufacturer.
In many cases, an overheating motor simply has hot bearings that are producing a burnt oil smell. It can also be dust or dirt in the motor that is getting hot and emitting an odor. However, if you are not experienced at solving electrical problems, it is best to get expert advice.
Things That Can Cause Overheating
Here are some things that can cause your rock tumbler to overheat. Do your best to avoid them!
- covering the tumbler with a box to reduce noise (A box over the tumbler will cut off the supply of the fresh air needed to cool the motor. Instead of covering the tumbler, lubricate the motor and bearings.)
- operating the tumbler in a hot shed, in direct sunlight, or another hot environment
- an event that adds resistance to the motor (A barrel jumping off of the shafts and wedging between them will impede the turning of the motor and cause it to fail.)
- poor bearing maintenance (Dirty bearings create friction and apply extra load on the motor. Keep your bearings lubricated, keep them clean, and replace them if they stop operating smoothly; this will save your motor.)
- overloading the barrel (This can occur by adding too much volume, but can also occur when high-specific-gravity materials such as hematite or pieces of metal are tumbled.)
- a problem in the motor that causes it seize up or fail to start turning (A dropped ceramic pellet that bounces into one of the motor vents will likely kill the motor.)
- an accumulation of dust or dirt in or on the motor that prevents it from cooling properly (Don't operate a tumbler in a dusty environment. Keep the tumbler and surrounding area swept clean. Air-cooled motors inhale incredible volumes of air every minute.)
Any machine operated by electricity can be a fire hazard under the right conditions, many of which are listed above.
There is one situation that should concern you. If you detect a hot oil or burnt plastic odor coming from your motor, or see smoke, that is a time to unplug the motor and contact the manufacturer.
Be Concerned About Motor Safety
Here are some general tips to keep your rock tumbler operating safely. Some of them also prevent overheating.
- unplug the motor before doing maintenance or repair
- use a tumbler with a thermally protected motor
- take care of the cord, inspect it regularly, and repair if it is damaged
- keep pets and small children away from where a motor operates
- operate it according to the manufacturer's instructions
- locate it where it has access to plenty of fresh air
- locate it away from combustible materials
- locate it away from sources of heat
- operate it in a clean and uncluttered environment
- keep the motor clean and in good operating condition
- inspect and lubricate the motor and bearings according to instructions
- wear safety glasses during use, repairs, and maintenance
- don't wear jewelry, loose sleeves, or dangling hair when working near a tumbler
- if you have doubts about your motor, contact the manufacturer
- if you must replace a motor, obtain a replacement of the same make and model
- using GFCI receptacles can improve the safety of your work area
A safety-conscious person who does the above can reduce the risk of fire, reduce the risk of injury, and prolong the life of the tumbler.
Quality, Care and Gentle Use
We advocate buying a quality tumbler, made by a company that has been in business for a long time.
Some manufacturers design and build with a goal of producing the lowest-cost item in the market. The most expensive part of most rock tumblers is the motor, and using a low-quality motor is a place where costs can be cut. You get what you pay for.
We also advocate "care and gentle use" of the items that you purchase. It does not matter if it is a rock tumbler, a car, or a toaster. Treat your rock tumbler with respect. Keep it clean. Lubricate it regularly. Doing these things will often enable you to enjoy your possessions for a much longer time.
Some Motor Trivia
Most modern homes have at least two dozen small air-cooled motors working in them every day. These motors are in furnaces, air conditioners, refrigerators, ceiling fans, space heaters, recliners, washing machines, dryers, waste disposals, ovens, microwaves, attic fans, hair dryers, garage door openers, pumps, toys, and more. Most people are surprised to learn how many motors are working in their home.
Motors in the home cause occasional fires. They are the small machines that we live with, so we should buy quality products, install them properly, operate them gently, and maintain them according to the manufacturer's instructions.
|Hobart M. King: Most of the articles on this website have been written by Hobart King. He is owner and manager of RockTumbler.com and has decades of rock tumbling experience. He has a PhD in geology and is a GIA graduate gemologist. He has also written most of the information about rocks, minerals and gems on the Geology.com website.|